Notes from
the Instructor

General installation help: 6:30-8:00PM Tuesday & Wednesday in Open Spaces.

High Performance Python 1

UPDATED 5th March 2012 - download link for Source Code added.

You need the following packages installed for High Performance Python 1. If you lack some packages or have older versions you might have trouble with that part of the tutorial (but you won't miss out overall). You can always pair-up with a neighbour for a part of the tutorial if you lack a library.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK BACK HERE BEFORE YOU COME TO THE CONFERENCE IN CASE ANY LAST MINUTE CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE - I'll note additions with a date at the end.

I'll be teaching from a Linux Ubuntu laptop (Mint 12), I won't have time to install packages with you during the tutorial. I should be around before the tutorial if some of you are having trouble but you are expected to arrive with configured machines so we can start promptly.

You need to have:

• Source Code for the tutorial, download this before coming to the tutorial and have it unzipped (4 files, 7kb)

• Python 2.7.2 with cProfile (check 'import cProfile' works), Python 2.6 with these libraries is probably ok but I won't be checking it, I'll assume you have Python 2.7

• runsnakerun 2.0.2a1 runsnakerun, check you can 'import runsnakerun' from Python.
  • line_profiler 1.0b3 line_profiler, check you can run 'kernprof.py' from the command line and in Python 'import line_profiler'
  • numpy 1.6.1 numpy, check you can 'import numpy' from Python, having a slightly older version (e.g. 1.5.1) is fine
  • cython 0.15.1 cython, check you can run 'cython' from the command line
  • shedskin 0.9.1 shedskin, check you can run 'shedskin' from the command line
  • parallelpython 1.6.1 parallelpython, check you can 'import pp' in Python
  • PyPy 1.8 pypy, check you can run 'pypy' from its ./bin directory
  • numexpr 2.0.1 numexpr, slightly older versions (e.g. 1.4.2) are fine, check you can 'import numexpr' in Python

Troubleshooting:

• This page is a wiki! Post here if you have questions or hints!

• I'm having trouble installing wxWindows (dependency of the brilliant RunSnakeRun) on OSX 10.6.8, Python 2.7, 64 bit. Tried the binaries and failed to compile from source. Will try again tonight and post hints here if I succeed.

• Try installing from MacPorts:

$ sudo port install py27-wxpython

• on my machine only the 32-bit version was built so you'll need to use:

$ arch -i386 runsnake32 [profile-file]

• if you're using virtualenv, follow the instructions here: http://wiki.wxpython.org/wxPythonVirtualenvOnMac

• I'm having trouble installing pypy on ubuntu 32-bit. Any hints?

Changelog:

• 5th March 2012 - added Source Code download link above
  • 28th Feb 2012 - added a troubleshooting/discussion section
  • 12th Feb 2012 - first version
community/tutorials/174 Recently modified by jimmysong: March 7, 2012, 3:32 p.m. (History) Edit